Denver Financial Aid Checklist
Follow these steps to apply for federal student aid:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA ). Include the University of Denver federal school code: 001371.
- Sign the FAFSA electronically using your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. You can create an FSA ID on the Federal Student Aid website, or when logging into the FAFSA.
- If you wish to receive the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, complete Entrance Counseling and electronically sign the Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) at StudentAid.gov .
- Both the Entrance Counseling and MPN must be completed in order for funds to be disbursed to your student account at
- If you have previously borrowed federal student loans, be sure to update your lender(s) with contact information and enrollment status (for loan deferment purposes). Log in on the StudentAid.gov homepage to review loan history and loan servicer details.
- Evaluate your need for additional funding such as the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan through the Department of Education, or private education loans through various lenders of your choice.
Note: The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is credit-based. Please visit StudentAid.gov for detailed information regarding PLUS loan credit requirements.
- Prior to borrowing through the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan program, you may need to review your credit reports for potential issues. Contact any of the following credit bureaus for information: Experian, Equifax , or TransUnion.
- The Graduate PLUS Loan credit decision expires within 180 days from applying.
- Once you have made the decision to apply for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, complete the Direct PLUS loan request.
- If approved for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, complete a separate Loan Agreement (MPN).
- If declined for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, you can re-apply with a co-signer (endorser) or appeal the denial through the Department of Education.
- Monitor your application status through the DU PioneerWeb website. Once you have applied for federal student aid and have been admitted to the University of Denver, log in to your PioneerWeb account frequently to review your financial aid requirements on the incoming Grad Students or Student tab. If you have an item in PioneerWeb with a red flag next to it, there are additional steps you must take.
- After submitting all the requirements listed above (FAFSA, Loan Counseling, and MPN), wait for Denver’s financial aid office to send your financial aid award letter via email.
- Accept or decline your award by logging in to the DU PioneerWeb website and completing the following steps:
- Click on the Incoming Grad Students or Student tab.
- Click on View and Accept Award Offer in the Financial Aid Awards box.
- Select the current Aid Year.
- Click on the Terms and Conditions tab, review, and click Accept.
- Click on the Accept Award Offer tab.
- Choose Accept or Decline in the drop-down box next to each award.
- If you wish to accept only a portion of a loan, type the amount in the Accept Partial Amount box. (Remember that any amount you accept will be split evenly across your terms of enrollment i.e., fall, winter, spring, and summer quarters.)
- Click Submit Decision.
- For more information on financial aid at the University of Denver, visit Denver’s Graduate Financial Aid’s office.
- Visit StudentAid.gov for more information on Federal Student Aid Programs.