SchoolCounseling@Denver Tuition, Billing and Financial Aid FAQs

University of Denver Student Account Set Up

What is MyDU?

Your MyDU account includes access to academic records, billing, financial aid, direct deposit set up, and more. You will need your University of Denver ID and Password to log into MyDU.

What is my University of Denver User Account?

Your user account is located on MyDU. This will allow access to most student services and serves as the University’s student portal. Email, as well as other Microsoft Office products, can be accessed at using your DU email and MyDU password.

When can I access MyDU and how do I set up my University of Denver ID and Password?

Students will acquire their University of Denver ID# once they are admitted. Prior to resetting the password, it will be their six (6) digit birthday (mmddyy).

How do I set up my University of Denver email address? And can I forward it to my personal email?

Approximately 48-72 hours after depositing, students are emailed their University of Denver email address to their personal email (used to complete the admission application), and instructions to set up a password. This email account can be forwarded to a personal email address, although we encourage students to check their Microsoft365 email inbox in case any messages go to spam. Instructions on email forwarding can be found on the University of Denver UTS website or in the new student welcome packet sent by the student success advisor once the Welcome Call is complete. Please note that DU will always communicate with you via your email address.

SchoolCounseling@Denver Tuition and Billing

How much does the SchoolCounseling@Denver program cost?

Tuition is based on the number of credits for which you register. Current tuition rates can be found on the SchoolCounseling@Denver tuition and financial aid site.

Are there additional fees assessed in addition to tuition (lab fees, program fees, registration fees, student fees, placement fees, activity fees)?

There is a $4 per credit hour technology fee assessed in addition to tuition per quarter.

Does the university require that I have health insurance? Can this be waived if I have a comparable policy?

DU does not require that online students have health insurance, nor does it automatically enroll students in the DU Health Insurance Plan.

How much is the enrollment deposit?

There is a $200 non-refundable commitment deposit required.

Can I use financial aid to cover the deposit?

No, federal student aid cannot be used to pay the deposit.

Will I be able to view my award package before submitting the deposit?

Yes. Financial Aid will generate an offer of financial aid within 10 business days of acceptance into your program and receipt of a valid FAFSA and any supplemental document requests, which are posted on the “Student” tab of MyDU.

When will I receive a tuition bill and when is payment due?

  • A statement listing actual charges and financial aid credits for the term will be generated and posted to DUPay, our online tuition payment portal. An email will be sent to your DU email address each time a statement is posted.
  • Due dates can be found on the Bursar’s office Tuition and Fees page.
  • All students at the University of Denver are required to sign a yearly Billing Agreement. You will not be permitted to complete registration until you electronically sign this agreement. A registration hold is placed on your account until the agreement is signed. To view this hold and complete the agreement, please login to MyDU. Once there, click the Student tab, and navigate to My Statement | Billing Agreement.
  • The initial bill for each quarter lists tuition, fees and any other charges as well as your authorized financial aid. In order for aid to be “authorized,” it must be accepted and all requirements completed. Be sure to check MyDU—any item with a red flag in the “Financial Aid Requirements” box requires additional action, and the award associated with that requirement will not appear as a credit on your bill until that item is satisfied.
  • For questions regarding your tuition bill please contact the Bursar’s office.

How do I pay my bill? (e.g., electronic debit, check, money order?)

The accepted forms of payments are cash (in-person) or electronic checks and paper checks. The University of Denver does not accept credit/debit cards for tuition and loan payments. Paying online through DUPay is the fastest, easiest way to pay! You can also view statements, account activity and more. View the appropriate section below for instructions on accessing DUPay.

Is there a payment plan available for this program?

The University of Denver offers payment plan options to pay your tuition and fees. Quarterly payment plans are available for undergraduates & graduates. The application fee is $20 per quarter.

  • Sign up through DUPay once you receive your first bill for the term. Enrollment period ends on the 1st installment due date.
  • The application fee is non-refundable.
  • Installment amounts will automatically adjust if additional charges or credits are added to a student account. An email will be sent after any adjustment is made.
  • Late fees of 1.5% may be assessed on any installments 15 days or more past due.
  • Release of transcripts/diploma is restricted until the entire plan amount and account balance is paid in full.
  • Payment plan must be paid in full to register for subsequent terms.

For more information regarding payment plans, please visit the Bursar’s Office page.

What are the ramifications if my bill is not paid on time?

  • Financial holds are placed on student accounts when they become 30 days past due. After the overdue balances are paid in full, holds will be lifted. Financial holds prevent registration for future terms, and the receipt of official transcripts and diplomas.
  • Late fees may be assessed on past due balances on the first of each month.

I have tuition reimbursement from my employer. How does that work?

Students may defer payment until after final grades have been distributed each quarter. For more information, view the Employer Reimbursed Payments section of the Bursar’s Office page.

My employer will pay my tuition directly to the school. How can I set that up?

The Third Party Direct Bill option is available to students whose employer, embassy, or other sponsoring agency agrees to pay said charges directly to the University on the student’s behalf. Under this billing option, the Bursar’s Office invoices the third party directly for charges on the student’s account. Payment must not be contingent upon course grades. Third Party Direct Bills are mailed to the third party after week three of the term, due upon receipt. The TPPA form can be found on the Bursar’s Office page.

What is the process for receiving a refund of excess funds on my student account, if I’m eligible?

If your financial aid is more than the total of your charges, you may be eligible for a refund to pay other non-billable expenses. Refunds are typically generated by the Bursar’s Office two to three business days after disbursement. We recommend setting up direct deposit to expedite the receipt of your refund.

To set up direct deposit for refunds:

  1. Log into MyDU
  2. Go to the Student
  3. Click on the “Direct Deposit Info” link (located in the My Statement/Payment box).

Disbursement and refund dates are listed on the Financial Aid webpage.

Who can I contact at Denver for billing and payment questions?

For any questions regarding billing and payments please contact the Bursar’s Office. 

Financial Aid at Denver

Are scholarships offered for this program?

Yes. Applicants to the SchoolCounseling@Denver program may be eligible to be considered for a scholarship. Applicants will be considered at the time of their application and do not need to complete any additional application materials to be considered. Questions about scholarship eligibility should be directed to your admission counselor.

Is financial aid available for this program?

Yes. Both the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Graduate PLUS Loan are available to eligible students.

Why am I not eligible for the Pell Grant or Federal Subsidized Loan?

The Department of Education awards Federal Pell Grants and Subsidized Loans to eligible undergraduate students who have not yet completed their bachelor’s degrees and who demonstrate financial need. The Department of Education does not evaluate need or income for loans at the graduate/professional level. Therefore, graduate students are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant or the Direct Subsidized Loan.

How do I apply for Federal Direct loans?

Step 1: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Step 2: Complete Entrance Counseling.

Step 3: Submit the Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) in order for your loans to disburse.

What is the University FAFSA school code?

The Denver FAFSA school code is 001371.

Do I need my parents’ tax information to complete the FAFSA?

If you are applying for graduate school, you do not need your parent’s information to complete the FAFSA.

When should I complete the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is available every October 1st for the upcoming academic year . An academic year is the year for which financial aid is used to fund your education. At DU, an academic year begins in the fall quarter and ends the following summer quarter.

New students planning to use federal student aid should complete a FAFSA while applying for admission. Continuing students will need to submit a FAFSA each year they plan to receive federal student aid.

StartTermFAFSA Year
January 2024
Winter 2024
March 2024
Spring 2024
June 2024
Summer 2024
September 2024
Fall 2024
January 2025
Winter 2025
March 2025
Spring 2025
June 2025
Summer 2025

Do I need to complete the FAFSA each year?

Yes. Because eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next, you will need to complete the FAFSA for each award year for which you are or plan to be a student.

What criteria is used to determine eligibility for federal student aid?

To apply for federal student aid, you must:

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • have a valid SSN
  • be registered with Selective Service, if you’re male (must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree program
  • be enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • not currently be in default on previous student loans borrowed through FSA
  • not have exceeded the maximum aggregate loan limit
  • The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is not based on need or income.

Learn more about federal student aid eligibility criteria.

Are there any school-specific supplemental financial aid forms I need to complete?

Your FAFSA may be selected for additional review, known as verification, by Federal Student Aid. If additional forms are required, they will be posted to your MyDU account as red flags. All students must complete Entrance Counseling and electronically sign the Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN). Complete Loan Counseling at 

Please note: if you intend to use military benefits to help pay for your program, you must complete the Application for Veterans Benefits. The application can be found on the Registrar’s webpage. Submit these to the veteran services office at

Are there academic requirements I must meet to receive financial aid?

To continue receiving financial aid, you must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), which includes a series of requirements centered on your grade point average, course completion rate and the time frame in which you’re completing your degree. Please note: this policy pertains only to federal financial aid and is separate from other academic policies published by the institution.

Federal regulations require DU to monitor the academic progress of all graduate students receiving financial aid. SAP is monitored on a yearly basis — usually in mid-to-late summer — and is effective the following fall term.

Graduate students must maintain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.00, and complete a minimum of 66.6% of all courses attempted. This is known as the cumulative completion rate (CCR), and complete their degree within 150% of the minimum credits required to graduate. This is known as the maximum time frame (MTF) limit.

All students in the SchoolCounseling@Denver program are monitored for SAP compliance annually, and will be sent an email after spring grades are posted if they fail to meet either the CGPA, CCR or MTF requirements. Students are placed on financial aid suspension and will not receive a disbursement of federal, state or institutional financial aid until they regain compliance with SAP requirements or a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal is completed, submitted to and approved by the Office of Financial Aid Appeals Committee.

What is the minimum number of credits required to receive federal student aid?

Students must be registered for a minimum of four credits per term to be eligible for federal student aid.

Once admitted, how long will it take to receive my FA award package?

Financial Aid will generate an offer of financial aid within 10 business days of acceptance into your program and receipt of a valid FAFSA any supplemental document requests, which are posted on the “Student” tab of MyDU.

How will I receive my financial aid award letter?

Your financial aid award letter will be made available via your MyDU student portal.

How do I accept my student loans?

You will need to accept your awards through MyDU. Accept or decline your award by following these steps:

  • Log in to MyDU.
  • Select the Incoming Grad Students tab.
  • Click on “View and Accept Award Offer” in the Financial Aid Awards box.
  • Select the current aid year.
  • Select the Terms and Conditions tab, then review and click “Accept.”
  • Select the Accept Award Offer tab.
  • Choose Accept or Decline in the dropdown box next to each award.
  • If you wish to only accept a portion of the loan, type that amount in the Accept Partial Amount box. Note that any amount you accept will be split evenly over your terms of enrollment (i.e., fall, winter, spring and summer quarters).
  • Click “Submit Decision.”

Am I required to accept the full amount that I am offered in my award letter?

No, you are not required to accept the full amount you are offered. You have the option to accept the entire loan, modify the amount, or decline your loans.

Does my Direct Loan eligibility cover the entire cost of the program?

If you are eligible for both the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan (see below), your aid will cover the current academic year in which you are enrolled.

How soon will loans disburse to my student account?

Financial Aid does not disburse earlier than 10 days prior to the start of classes each quarter.

Can I use loans to cover additional expenses (housing, books, supplies, etc.)?

The total cost of attendance (COA) for the academic year includes tuition, fees and living expenses. If you have eligibility for additional loan funds based on your COA, you are able to use those resources to cover expenses such as books, supplies, living, meals etc. However, the school determines when loans will disburse and when refunds are issued.

What is the Title IV Authorization?

By completing the Title IV Authorization, found on MyDU, the university can apply your federal aid to all your charges, such as medical insurance, parking fines and other miscellaneous charges. 

Who can I contact at Denver for financial aid questions?

For questions regarding Financial Aid contact the Financial Aid Office at 303-871-4020 or by email.

Direct Unsubsidized Loan

What is the aggregate loan limit?

The aggregate loan limit is the total amount that you may borrow in federal student loans for undergraduate and graduate study. In addition to borrowing limitations based on the cost of attendance for the program, students are also limited in terms of lifetime borrowing. The maximum aggregate loan limit for federal loans is $138,500. This amount does not include PLUS loans, nor private loans.

If the total loan amount you receive over the course of your education reaches the aggregate loan limit, you are not eligible to receive additional loans. However, if you repay some of your loans to bring your outstanding loan debt below the aggregate loan limit, you could then borrow again, up to the amount of your remaining eligibility under the aggregate loan limit. You can learn more about graduate annual loan limits on the Federal Student Aid website.

How do I find out if I am near my aggregate loan limit or have defaulted on a federal student loan?

Log in on the homepage to view your federal student loan borrowing history, and loan servicer details. Please note that private education loans are not listed on this site. Students in default are not eligible for additional federal loans. Contact your lender for default resolution options.

What is the difference between a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Direct Subsidized Loan?

Direct Subsidized Loans are available to undergraduate students with financial need. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on subsidized loans while students are enrolled in their undergraduate program. Direct Unsubsidized Loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students; there is no requirement to demonstrate financial need. The unsubsidized loan begins accruing interest as soon as funds are disbursed. Learn more about the difference between unsubsidized and subsidized loans.

How much am I eligible to borrow as a Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

Most graduate level students are potentially eligible to receive up to $20,500 per academic year as a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn more about graduate annual loan limits

How do I apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

To apply for a Direct Loan, you must first complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). University of Denver will use the information from your FAFSA to determine how much student aid you are eligible to receive.

What is the current Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate?

The Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate is determined at the beginning of each academic year and is available on the website.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on unsubsidized loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

The Direct Graduate PLUS loan is a federal loan that graduate or professional degree students can use to help pay education expenses in addition to the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn about Direct PLUS Loans.

How do I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

To apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS loan, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once you have completed the FAFSA, you can apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan by completing the credit application at Select “Apply for a PLUS Loan” from the top menu options so that you can complete the credit check. You must also complete the Grad PLUS Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN). The University of Denver financial aid office will provide additional instructions about the process for requesting a Graduate PLUS Loan if needed.

What are the eligibility criteria to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

To apply for a Direct PLUS Loan, you must meet the same criteria as for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. In addition, you must not have an adverse credit history.

What is the credit criteria to receive the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

One of the eligibility requirements to receive a Graduate PLUS Loan is that you must not have an adverse credit history. A credit check is performed to determine whether a Graduate PLUS Loan applicant meets this requirement. A list of what constitutes “adverse credit history” can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

Does the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan affect my aggregate loan limit?

No. Only Direct Subsidized/Direct Unsubsidized Loans (formerly referred to as Stafford loans) and Federal loans made through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program count towards your aggregate loan limit.

How much can I borrow from the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

If approved for the Grad PLUS Loan, you can borrow up to the cost of attendance as determined by the University of Denver and listed in your Financial Aid Offer letter.

When can I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

You can apply for the Graduate PLUS loan beginning in April for fall start students or once you are admitted and have received an initial financial aid offer for students starting in all other terms.

What are my options if I’m denied the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

If you are denied the Graduate PLUS loan, you may reapply with an endorser or follow the instructions on the Department of Education’s website to appeal the denial.

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS loan current interest rate?

The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan interest rate is determined at the beginning of each academic year and is available on the website.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on PLUS Loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Loan Deferment and Repayment

Do I have to repay my student loans while I’m in school?

You are not required to pay on your student loans while you are in school, as long as you are enrolled at least half-time (which is 4 credits for graduate students at DU). Your unsubsidized loan will go into repayment six months after you graduate, fall below half-time status, take a leave of absence or withdraw from the program.

When do I have to repay my loan?

After you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time enrollment, you will have a six-month grace period before you are required to begin repayment. During this period, you’ll receive repayment information from your loan servicer and you will be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly. You are not required to pay while in school; however, if you choose to, there is no penalty to prepay. Learn more about repayment timelines.

What are the repayment plan options and how do I select one?

The Department of Education (DOE) offers multiple options for repayment. Visit the DOE website for more information on loan repayment plans.

Is there a repayment calculator or estimator that I can use?

Yes, visit the Student Aid website for repayment calculators.

Can I consolidate my graduate loans and my undergraduate loans?

A Direct Consolidation Loan allows you to consolidate (combine) multiple federal education loans into one loan that includes both graduate and undergraduate loans. The result is a single monthly payment instead of multiple payments. Learn more about loan consolidation. 

Are there any loan forgiveness options available?

Please review the Department of Education website for more information on federal loan forgiveness programs.

Military Education Benefits

What is the process for establishing my education benefits with the VA?

To begin the process of applying for eligible military education benefits, visit the education and training portion of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

If you are applying for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, complete the Education Benefits Application, which generates a request for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE is mailed to you within 6-8 weeks from submitting the application. Direct all questions regarding your eligibility to the VA at 1 (888)-442-4551.

I’ve already used my benefits at another school. Do I need to reapply to use them at the University of Denver?

No.  Since you have already established your benefits, you will only need to complete VA form 22-1995 at to change schools or the program.

I have questions about the certification sent to the VA[SI1] [MF2] ?

For questions about your certification, you can contact the School Certifying Official at

What do I need to do to establish my benefits at the University of Denver?

Once you are established with the VA, you’ll need to apply to use your benefits at the University of Denver and provide us with a copy of your COE. The application can be found on the  Registrar’s page   Submit these to the veteran services office at

What are the eligibility requirements for the Post 9/11 GI bill?

To begin you must have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept.10, 2001. If you have served 36 months or more you will be eligible for the maximum level of benefits.  The GI Bill is available to active duty service members, veterans  with an honorable discharge, or a discharge with a service-connected disability after 30 days, and their dependents. Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

How are Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits calculated at University of Denver?

The University of Denver is a private school, therefore, the VA caps the amount of tuition they will pay each year.  The cap for the 19-20 year is $24,479.76 for students with 100% eligibility.  The school will calculate all tuition and applicable fees each term.  Per VA guidelines they will subtract any scholarships, grants, or tuition assistance, the rest will be billable to the VA.  If you are eligible for the yellow ribbon program, the school certifying official will start using yellow ribbon funds once you have reached the yearly tuition cap.  Please note that charges for housing, meal plans, travel, transportation, or parking, are not covered by the VA and are at the student’s expense.

Will my military benefits cover the entire cost of the program?

Please visit the GI Bill comparison tool to view what your VA benefits will cover at University of Denver. 

What other benefits are included in the Post 9/11 GI Bill program ?

In addition to paying your tuition and applicable fees, the Post 9/11 GI Bill includes a housing stipend and book voucher.

The book voucher is $1000 per academic year, and is disbursed based on the number of credit hours registered throughout the year.

The Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) is paid directly to students using GI Bill benefits during periods of active enrollment, which means you can expect prorated amounts based on when the term starts or ends.  The housing payment is always paid in arrears.  You can expect your first stipend, the first part of the month following the start of the term.  Housing is determined by the type of student you are (online or classroom), and your enrollment status (full time or half time). For graduate students full time is 8 credit hours.  Students at or below half-time, 4 quarter hours or less, are not eligible for housing.

What is the deadline to apply for VA education benefits?

You can apply for VA benefits at any time at both the VA or the University of Denver. For veterans released from service prior to 1/1/13 there is a 15 year delimiting date to use your benefits.

What are the current rates of benefits including the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)?

The tuition and fee payment rate, and MHA are determined at the beginning of each military academic year on August 1st. The current rate table is located on the Education and Training page of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs site

Because Denver is a private university, students who receive Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are subject to a maximum tuition and fee reimbursement per military academic year (August 1 through July 31). The amount of the national cap changes each year on August 1, and is available to be used from August 1 to July 31 of the following year. When VA benefits are calculated, the amount of this national cap must be expended before Yellow Ribbon Program benefits can be awarded, if applicable.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows degree-granting private colleges and universities in the United States to enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual maximum tuition cap for tuition. To participate in the Yellow Ribbon program, you must be using Post-9/11 GI benefits at 100% eligibility, not currently on active duty, and not a military spouse.  Eligible Post 9/11 GI bill users are eligible for at least  $10,000 in Yellow Ribbon funding ($5000 from DU and $5000 from the VA).  Several graduate schools offer increased or unlimited Yellow Ribbon funding.  Please check with the SCO at 

Does SchoolCounseling@Denver participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?

Yes, SchoolCounseling@Denver participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program.  

Who can I contact at the University of Denver for questions about using Military Education Benefits or Veteran Services at DU?

For questions regarding your military benefits, please contact the Veteran Services office,, or 303-871-4831.

Tax Benefits for Education

How do I qualify for a tuition tax credit?

For details on tax benefits for education, see IRS Publication 970Tax Benefits for Higher Education, which provides detailed information.

What is the 1098-T Form?

By law, the University of Denver is required to furnish form 1098-T each tax year to enrolled students who are US citizens or permanent residents. The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (TRA97) established education tax credits for taxpayers. The 1098-T form may assist you in determining eligibility for education tax credits or deductions. More information regarding these credits and deductions is available at the IRS website or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM.

The University of Denver cannot provide tax advice. Please refer to relevant IRS forms and publications or consult a tax advisor, not the University of Denver, for explanations regarding eligibility for and calculations of any allowable tax credits or deductions.

What information is included in the 1098-T Form?

The information that universities are required to provide on Form 1098-T does not necessarily correspond to the information you may need to calculate any education tax credits or deductions for which you may be eligible. Universities are required to report either amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses in the calendar year (Box 2) or payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses in the calendar year (Box 1).

The IRS requires universities to reduce the amount of billed charges by any tuition waiver proceeds. If you received any type of tuition waiver during the calendar year, you will see a reduction in the amount of charges reported in Box 1.

How do I obtain my 1098-T Form?

You can view and print your 1098-T form online through MyDU. General information can be found on the Bursar’s Office webpage.

Financial Ramifications for Withdrawal

What are the ramifications of withdrawing from all courses prior to the end of the term?

A student who receives financial aid, begins classes, and then subsequently either withdraws from all classes, stops attending, or fails to receive passing grades during the term is subject to a refund policy  known as the Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4).

Title IV (Federal) funds are awarded to you under the assumption that you will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When you withdraw from all courses for any reason, including medical withdrawals, you may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds you were originally scheduled to receive.

If you withdraw from all courses prior to completing at least 60 percent of the term, you may be required to repay a portion of the federal financial aid you received for that term. A pro-rata schedule is used to determine the amount of federal student aid funds you will have earned at the time of withdrawal.

The return of funds is based upon the concept that students earn their financial aid in proportion to the amount of time in which they are enrolled. Under this reasoning, a student who withdraws in the second week of classes earned less of their financial aid than a student who withdraws in the seventh week. Once 60 percent of the term is completed, you are considered to have earned all of your financial aid and will not be required to return any funds.

How is my last date of attendance determined?

For an official withdrawal, the effective withdrawal date is the first date of notification by the student to the Office of the Registrar or other designated official offices. For an unofficial withdrawal, it is the date the institution becomes aware that the student is no longer attending the institution.

For an unofficial withdrawal due to the student failing all classes, the effective withdrawal date is the midpoint of the term or the last date of attendance reported by instructors, whichever is later.

The withdrawal date for students who are academically dismissed is the date of the notification of their dismissal.

The withdrawal date for students who are suspended is the due date for the suspension appeal if the appeal is denied.

DU does not accept a student’s self-reported last date of attendance. It is the responsibility of the student to provide documentation of a last date of attendance through the tuition appeal process or medical leave of absence approval.

The following Registrar policies are pertinent to determining if a student has attended and earned all Title IV aid beyond the 60 percent point of the term:

         Any student who withdraws after the 6th week of the term must have an instructor signature to withdraw.

A student may not receive a grade of incomplete unless they have attended at least 60 percent of the term.

How is the amount of Title IV aid to be returned calculated?

The Financial Aid Office will determine the following:

  1. The total amount of Title IV aid disbursed (if any) for the term you withdrew. Your Title IV aid is counted as aid disbursed in the calculation if it has been applied to your account on or before the date you withdrew.
  2. The total amount of Title IV aid disbursed, plus the aid that could have disbursed (if any) for the term in which you withdrew.

How is the percentage of term attended calculated?

The number of calendar days completed by the student divided by the total number of calendar days in the term (weekends included) in which the student withdrew.

Days Attended / Days in Enrollment Period = Percentage Completed

If the calculated percentage exceeds 60 percent, then you “earned” all aid for the period. If you withdraw on or after this date , you will earn more than 60 percent of your financial aid and we will not return any funds.

Please note: The date you earn more than 60 percent of your aid does not coincide with the tuition refund schedule for dropped classes and is only used to determine the amount of financial aid we must return (if any). Please refer to the Office of the Registrar for more information on tuition refunds.

When will this calculation be performed?

Regulations require schools to perform calculations within 30 days and return funds within 45 days from the date the school determines a student’s complete withdrawal.

Where can I see the details on the calculation that determined the refund?

If you withdrew from DU, you can view your withdrawal date, percentage and amount of aid earned, and the details of any Title IV funds returned through MyDU.

To view your withdrawal information:

  1. Log into MyDU.
  2. Go to the Student tab.
  3. Click on the “Withdrawal Information” link in the Financial Aid Awards box.
  4. Choose the term you withdrew from the drop-down menu and click “Submit”.